Loading...
Home 2018-01-22T22:35:03+00:00

Our Parks

Modroo Park

Modroo

Russell Township Park

Russell Township Park

Russell Uplands Preserve

Russell Uplands Preserve

Upper Chagrin Preserve Addition

Upper Chagrin Preserve Addition

Weiss

Weiss

Westwood Land Lab

Westwood Land Lab

West River Drive II

West River Drive II

Our Story

At the request of the Russell Township Trustees, the Russell Park Commission was created in May, 1984, by a judgment of the Geauga County Probate Court under Ohio Statute, O.R.C. 1545. The Court, Judge Frank Lavrich presiding, appointed the first Park Commissioners: Clyde Evans Jr., Thomas Stanley, and Sanford Siegler. The new Commissioners met, adopted by-laws and goals and began a study of lands in Russell Township suitable for conservation and recreation purposes. Immediately available was land along the Chagrin River owned by the Township, lands donated to the Trustees by the August family and by Peter Rogers. In August 1984, Russell Trustees adopted a Resolution transferring administration of lands owned by the Township but not used for operating purposes to the new Park Commission. The Board of Trustees also donated $3,500 for initial operating expenses until receipts from the State Intangible Tax, Library, and Local Government Fund could be received. Next, Trustees agreed to transfer annually 0.15 mills from the Township’s inside millage to the Park Commission…

Meetings

Meetings are held at The West Woods Nature Center.

2018 Meeting Schedule